Forum Home Forum Home > Writer/Book Forums > The Book Club
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLIVE GIRLS - Ray Garton

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayGarton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2008 at 12:10am
I'm here because I was invited, but if you don't want the writer hanging around while you discuss the book, please don't hesitate to say so. I'll understand and I'll duck out. Otherwise, don't mind me, and please be honest -- I can take it.

I'm glad you enjoyed the book, Pattirose. And I hope you have fun with MONSTERS. It was my very first novella and was inspired by and largely based on (though fictionalized) my experience with the Seventh-day Adventists in Angwin, California, in 1984. Their response to the publication of my first novel (Adventists think novels are baaad, especially horror novels) was, uh ... shall we say, less than receptive? It was just reprinted in my collection SLIVERS OF BONE.
Sponsored Links

Belladonna View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Belladonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2008 at 12:51am
Course we'd like you to join in, you're very welcome here! I've been busy at work the past few days, but after today I'm off til wednesday and will read much more of Live Girls then.
I've also ordered Dark Channel, Seductions, and Loveliest Dead.

Patti, glad to hear you liked it so much!! I can't wait to have time to read!

pattirose View Drop Down
Guru
Guru
Canadian Wildwoman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pattirose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2008 at 7:09am
Ray: It's great to have you here!

I have a couple questions for you. I was wondering if you have ever lived in NYC?
At the time the book was published, did you get any flak saying it was too graphic?
And lastly the ping pong ball thing, is that true?

"Where there is cake, there is hope. And there is always cake" - Life Expectancy
breezit View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breezit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2008 at 7:52am
I enjoyed the book a lot also! I like the mixture of sexuality and vampirism. Not a book I would recommend to my mother, but it's very effective.

The novel was ahead of its time in a lot of ways. I think it's great how Leisure is re-printing a lot of the old classic novels, re-introducing them to a new generation of fans.

I was in NYC a few years ago, and they've really cleaned up the area that Ray describes in the book. It's hard to believe it was ever that sleazy.   

"In the real world as in dreams, nothing is quite what it seems.” Dean Koontz

pattirose View Drop Down
Guru
Guru
Canadian Wildwoman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pattirose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2008 at 8:17am
Originally posted by breezit breezit wrote:

I enjoyed the book a lot also! I like the mixture of sexuality and vampirism. Not a book I would recommend to my mother, but it's very effective.

The novel was ahead of its time in a lot of ways. I think it's great how Leisure is re-printing a lot of the old classic novels, re-introducing them to a new generation of fans.

I was in NYC a few years ago, and they've really cleaned up the area that Ray describes in the book. It's hard to believe it was ever that sleazy.   

I lived there in the 80's and I find it hard to believe they cleaned it up, lol! I remember seeing working girls out in see-thru teddies in the winter and that wasn't even in Times Square, I can only imagine what those girls were wearing!
"Where there is cake, there is hope. And there is always cake" - Life Expectancy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>
  Share Topic