Forum Home Forum Home > Writer/Book Forums > Dean Koontz
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedInappropriate content for teens?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lorenita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inappropriate content for teens?
    Posted: January/25/2009 at 1:19pm
I am an avid DK reader, and consequently my siblings want to read his books, the problem is that DK’s books tend to be inappropriate for young teens.

My 11-year-old sister wants to read Tick Tock (which I have not yet read) and my 13-year-old brother wants to read The Darkest Evening of the Year (which I read and won’t let him read because of Moongirl).

In your opinion is Tick Tock not an appropriate read for an 11-year-old girl? And what book do you think is appropriate for a 13-year-old boy? If you wouldn’t mind giving me some details that would be helpful.

Thank you.
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. -Dr. Seuss
Sponsored Links

FinalExam View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalExam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 2:12pm
Uhm, it has been some time since I read Tick Tock but I don't remember there beign anythign horribly objectionable in it. Then again, I was reading horror when I was an early teen, so I might not be the right person to answer.
We are not strangers to ourselves, we only try to be. --Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
SlimMackenzie View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlimMackenzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 2:59am
Tick Tock would be fine for 13yr old IMO, and for the boy, I would recommend(am I spelling that right?) Voice of the Night. It deals with younger kids doing some bad stuff, but not too graphic for a 13 yr old. LIGHTNING would be another good suggestion.
The other night I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out.
-Rodney Dangerfield
notkaplan View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notkaplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 11:29am
I don't think Tick Tock had much, if at all, any innappropriate content. It might be a little scary for an 11 year old though. Of all of DK's books, I think Tick Tock was definately one of the milder ones when it comes to violence, sex, and curse words.

I think I remember By the Light of the Moon being OK too
christophersnow View Drop Down
Guru
Guru
"Snowballman"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christophersnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2009 at 11:56am
I actually tried reading it at 11. I didn't get far. It may have been my immature mind. It did freak me out a little. That's just because weird noises coming from radios scare me. Well, they did back then.
"It had to be said. The world is perishing from an orgy of self-sacrificing." - Howard Roark
Dean Koontz= Always working!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic