Forum Home Forum Home > Writer/Book Forums > Dean Koontz book reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCold Fire, 1991

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MGDraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cold Fire, 1991
    Posted: April/07/2004 at 10:41am

any english class i've taken has told me to anylaize the names of characters, because the author choose them for a reason, usually a symbolic reason. i have also been annoyed when the symbolizism between the name and the content is made painfully obvious. names like "John Everyman" tend to keep me from getting into a story. instead of becoming involved in a story, where i feel as if im in the middle of the action, its like a constant nagging reminder that the whole story is fake and i cant imagine any further than the words on a page. However, Dean Koontz must realize this as well, because when one of his characters has an obvious name, he gives a back story, and has other characters make observations about the name, thereby making it sound more like a coinceidence than a purposeful choice. changing what could be a possible failure into a masterpiece. Cold Fire does not dissappoint. the main charactes names are Jim Ironheart and Holly Thorne. 'Ironheart' came from a german backround(which is explained in more detail than what i write). Holly's parents thought it would be funny to name her Holly. but enough about that, on to the story itself.

Jim Ironheart is a hero without knowing why. some unseen force sends him bits and pieces of the future and compells Jim to go all over the country, and sometimes overseas, saving lives of people hes never met. Holly is a reporter, exauahsted of her profession, who literally bumps into Jim on one of his missions. together they seek the meaning behind his visions and find themselves at the old windmill at his grandparents' farm. it is there that mystery turns into wonder and terror of un-earthly proportions.

overall i really enjoyed this book. it is espicially interesting to watch Jim's character progress from being a hero, to a loner, to a scared little boy, and back around. i thouroghly recommend this novel to fans and newbies alike.

Quote edited by moderator

short synopsis:

Jim Ironheart risked his life to save a child. Reporter Holly Thorne decides there is a story here, and soon discovers that Jim has quietly performed 12 last-minute rescues. Jim believes God is working through him, but Holly is more cynical and delves further, placing both their lives in danger.

"How's your mother?"
"She's on her way out."
"We all are, act accordingly."
--The Departed--
Sponsored Links

Megs View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2004 at 10:46am

I agree! This book was super! I was definatly not expecting it to end the way that it did. How weird was that. I never would have thought that it was him all along. It blew me away! I was left wondering what happened to Jim and Holly. It was a great book. I give it 4 stars!

***The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they are okay, then it's you!***
christophersnow View Drop Down
Guru
Guru
"Snowballman"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christophersnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2004 at 7:03pm

It was a great book for many reasons, one being the great cast of characters, the other being the most surprising book I've ever read from Koontz. There was a surprise it seemed on every page of the book. Surprise after surprise made it hard to put down and maybe one of my top 5 books of all time for Koontz, if it can beat By the Light of the Moon.

Junior82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junior82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2005 at 10:17pm
This is yet another Koontz novel that really makes you think about human nature. Every scene is beautifuly written and very suspenseful. The ending is one of the least expected of anything I've read. He makes you think one thing then another but never whats truelly going on. Would make a great movie. To reply with what MGDraft(great nic) said about names I can't help but say my all time favorite name is Deliverance Payne from Tick Tock which is also an awesome read.

Edited by Junior82
bandej0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bandej0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2005 at 1:04pm
Throughout the whole book I wanted to be Jim Ironhart. The ending totally blew me away. Suspense is great in this one, and as always the storyline is a little off the wall, yet he somehow makes it very believable. How does he do it.
"There is a fine line between genius and insanity." - Einstein
Top 5 Koontz:
1: Lightning
2: One Door Away from Heaven
3: From the Corner of His Eye
4: False Memory
5: Strangers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic