Forum Home Forum Home > Writer/Book Forums > Harry Potter forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHalf-Blood Prince (spoiler)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 22232425>
Author
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaqen H'ghar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2006 at 5:49am
You are all missing the point about how Sirius died. It wasn't the falling into the black vail that killed him. It was the "Aveda Kedavra"(sp?) spell that he was hit with that killed him. I do, however, believe that having fallen into the black vail may have preserved him somehow allowing him to come back in the next book.

as far as Snape is concerned...
Dumbledore was constantly standing up for the guy. I guarentee that Dumbledore forced Snape into the "unbreakable vow" when he turned to the good side. Part of that vow was most likely something to the effect of doing whatever was necessary to keep his cover within the deatheaters. That was why they were fighting in the woods. cause snape was telling DD about Malfoy's treachery. DD knew it was necessary for Snape to kill him in that instant because if he didn't, the other death eaters would have known something was up. So did Snape. He killed DD to retain his position within the deatheaters and to be able to help Harry in the future.
Sponsored Links

Paolo Macachor View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paolo Macachor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2007 at 3:36pm
Just read HBP. It's less explosive and has less contagiuous aggression than Order of the Phoenix, but it is much darker and the bottom of the ice berg of mysteries getting closer. It opens with some rather funny scenes that involve lay men who don't know Serious Black or Kwidditch. And of course there's the scene with Lestrange and Snape. A nice deviation for Rowling who is brilliant in usually ONLY maintaining story from Harry's POV.

The Piensieve is used more extensively as Dumbledore and Harry peer into Tom RIddle's past, the cliche of absolute power seducing and corrupting and love being the only antidote has it's undertones well played out. Speaking of antidotes, I loved the device that uses Felix Felicis, and even the possbility of a "Placebo Potion Effect."

I dare say this ends much darker than Phoenix, and there is a twist in the end that I didn't see coming, I thought I knew the identity of The Prince, and Rowling was making it obvious but I was wrong. But the payoff and revelation hit hard because of the cohesion it has with an earlier scene of foreshadowing, and irony letting audiences know what the rest of the characters don't. This is nothing short of genius storytelling. It sets up brilliantly for the final book, and I can only wish Rowling won't stop writing other things after she's done with the series.

5/5.
Einsteingooddog View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Einsteingooddog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2008 at 1:02pm
I started to read this thread and saw it starting to go into speculations about book 7 so I didn't finish reading it because I don't even want to read a guess of what happens in the next one.

So, anyway, I'm just going to post my thoughts of Half-Blood Prince real quick and I'll be back to check out the rest of this thread when I've read Deathly Hallows.

Actually, I really think it's probably too soon to post my thoughts about the book...never before have a I finished a book and then still been thinking about it the entire next day...I had no idea that fiction could affect me this much.

I can't believe that Harry was freaking right about Snape all along. Even in the beginning of HBP when he makes the unbreakable vow...I still knew (as much as I hate him) that he was on the right side...why?? Because Dumbledore trusted him...even after Harry brought it up 35 times...Dumbledore still trusted him. And now...because of that trust...Dumbledore is dead...DEAD!

I was literally waiting for Snape to blast all of the Death-Eaters off of that tower and blow his cover at last. Then he Avada Kedavraed Dumbledore just like that...like he was nothing. I still can't believe I'm this enraged by a book.

Anyway, I've heard that book 7 is awesome...but I really hope that Harry can bring himself to kill people because if everybody ends up in Azkaban to stand trial or some crap like that I'm gonna be HOPPING MAD...

Here's the list of people that I want dead as freakin' doornails in Book 7:

1) Voldemort
2) Snape
3) Peter Pettigrew
4) Bellatrix Lestrange
5) Draco Malfoy
6) Lucius Malfoy

and a distant seventh would be Delores Umbridge (although I thought it was a cop-out that she didn't die in Book 5 at the hands of the Centaurs)

Another thing that made me mad was that when Harry chased after Snape at the end that all Snape had to do was flick his wand to deflect anything that Harry tried to jinx him with...which brings me to the question...how will Harry be able to fight Snape or any of the Death Eaters for that matter if they can so easily defend against anything he does??

I'm sorely disappointed that Dumbledore didn't get to unleash on some Death-Eaters before he was gone.

I haven't really summed up my thoughts about the book very well...but I just had to rant a little first.

Sorry.
Currently reading: The Shack by William P. Young

Just Finished:Odd Hours
christophersnow View Drop Down
Guru
Guru
"Snowballman"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christophersnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2008 at 1:26pm
I had some wonderful theories about Snape years before the final book even came out. I can't wait for you to read the final book and find out what happens. All of your questions and then some will be answered.
"It had to be said. The world is perishing from an orgy of self-sacrificing." - Howard Roark
Dean Koontz= Always working!
MONSTER View Drop Down
Guru
Guru
Aye Viene El Monstruo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MONSTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2008 at 6:03pm
-----------------------------spoilers--------------------

I am not ashamed to admit that at the end of HBP, i frigan cried, i really did. i was so invested in the read, i wanted to scream!!!! The wait for the last book was hell, be glad u dont have to, closeure is at hand.
"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what's right." Isaac Asimov
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 22232425>
  Share Topic